Adjustment of Status. A person who is in the United States may be eligible to apply for permanent resident status from inside the United States. It is important for an experienced immigration attorney to thoroughly review your current status to determine if adjustment of status is possible. Mr. Phipps represents many people on such applications for adjustment of status. 

Consular Processing. A person who is currently outside the United States may need to file for permanent resident status through a U.S. consulate in that person's home country. In other situations, a person currently inside the U.S. must depart the United States and apply at the U.S. consult before returning. It is extremely important to consult with an experienced immigration attorney before beginning consular processing.